Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Poetry Challenge: Poem #1 of 5

Okay December is a tad bit longer than I wanted to go without blogging. So to make up for it, I have decided to take part in a poetry challenge that my good friend and fellow poet Katie Hoerth invited me to participate in. Seeing as how this poetic challenge originated on Facebook, I'm going to tweak it for purposes of this blog.

The rules are simple: Write 5 poems in 5 days. Yeah, that's pretty much it. They can be old poems already published or new, never seen by the world poems. On Facebook, whoever is invited to participate also gets to choose 5 other poets to accept the challenge. In this case, I choose you, dear readers! I invite you to take the challenge with me!  If you are a writer and want to choose poets or fellow writers to invite to take the challenge, I invite you to do so. Feel free to post your writing below in a comment as well. I would love to see what you might have to share with me!And likewise, I will also post my poems on FB and tag 5 fellow poets.

Since Katie and I have decided to take this Poetry Challenge together, I am posting a link to Katie's Blog for you to enjoy her poems. I am also posting a link to My Facebook Page for you to follow my posts there as well.

Here is my first poem:

I Have No Estate

I have no estate, no
Self-made life of home,
Baby keepsakes or something
Old given in marriage to leave
Behind – no children to pass
On memories of when I wore Papi’s
Hat and pretended to play guitar;
Sat on Grandpa’s lap with stories
Of bunnies in Spanish, and pictures
Of me in my red and white batter’s
Uniform; tunas grew on the cactus
And I played in dirt in my Sunday dress
But I have my words – undisciplined
Journal entries of young, Unrequited
love, struggles with math in college
And learning differences; to get anywhere,
One must struggle along the way.
But sharing joy is invaluable.

No comments:

Post a Comment