Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Poetry Challenge: Poem #2 of 5

Hi there! Today I'm posting the second poem in the poetry challenge I'm sharing with Katie. I think I'm really getting into this challenge, as I know several of our fellow poets also are. I have half a mind to actually take part in NaPoWriMo in April for Poetry Month, poetry's answer to the yearly month-long novel writing challenge in November, NaNoWriMo! We'll see ... :)

In the meantime, here is my second poem. In the fall I was enrolled in a poetry class where I wound up writing a couple poems about my dad, This is one of the more finished ones. Working on a couple actually for possible submissions. Hope you enjoy.


The Man in the Picture

I don’t remember the man
in the picture, the one I stand
like, with a hand on my hip, one
knee slightly bent,

The one I repeated every swear
word to in English or Spanish
to either forget or not say
anymore – I guess it worked

The one who brought me surprises
after trips away – they mixed in with
gifts of “just because” or “I love you”,
so now I don’t know which was which

The one who bought me a ticket
to the history show at the IMAX theatre –
he looked in the Texas heat for the car
he didn’t want Mom to know he lost
in the paid parking lot in San Antonio

The one who when I went to Spain gave
me a calling card for emergencies –
He went speechless when the phone
bill was more than $500 because he
“just wanted to hear [my] voice”

The one who I saw his face age almost twice
its years – cancer treatments and a brain
tumor wiped out recollections of feeding
the cats, turning on the lights in the back
and coming home.

He still gives me money every week
“to get a hamburger”, and gets mad
I walk the half a block from work
because it’s too hot outside

More and more I know only the man
who stands in front of me, and more
and more I forget the man in the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment