Friday, March 20, 2015

Poetry Challenge: Poem #4 of 5

Well, today was a girlie kind of day as I got to spend the afternoon with Katie Hoerth! YAY! We talked about poetry, chapbooks, first manuscripts  ... and then we went shopping! :D

But when I was contemplating this post and thinking about which poem to include, it was almost a natural choice to choose the one titled "More Than I Imagined." It;s a poem that I wrote fairly quickly at Starbucks one afternoon and a special place in my heart for. It talks about coming full-circle having the woman I am now address the child I was, telling her it is okay to be awkward, with a stutter and that her self-confidence will soar once she finally finds her niche. 

Did I give too much away?? Oh well ... hope you enjoy!


More Than I Imagined

Where do you go when I seek you? In the depths
of myself I can’t find you. You’ve shown yourself before,
but have faded into blankness of a turned
page in retreat from fear of success and what is
seen for you - A blankness the world sees through unfinished
canvases, unworked poems and attempts for the greatness
you think you deserve, seeking what is known you can
do. But your attempts get in your way, for it is what you finish
that makes your eyes smile in fulfillment and accomplishment.
And it is that accomplishment which is greatness.
But you don’t see it. You never truly could for the belittling and will-never-
be-able-to’s that eked away your childhood. But now who I see in me is
not the same hindered child afraid to speak beyond her scared,
trembled whisper. So now I ask you to tell me where you are
now that I seek you again. In the depths of myself I know you’re
there. Show me how to find you so I can tell you I love you and you’re
more than I ever imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment