Thursday, November 6, 2014

My Non-Sonnet Sonnet

Okay, well here is my version of the Sonnet I decided to tackle. And I say "version" because it is not a true sonnet.  While my intention was to stay true to the Sherman Alexie poem, "The Facebook Sonnet", I was concentrating more on counting iambs in his poem and trying to match the number of syllables in mine PER LINE or as close as I could get anyway. Also, I have no end rhymes in any of my lines, while Alexie does. However, I did stay true to the 14-line form.

Below is my poem followed by Alexie's poem. Compare the two. What do you think? I had a hard time just letting my own words come and free myself of what I was basing it on .. attempting a perfect match. But in the end, how can it be a match  and be mine at the same time?


The Starbucks Sonnet
by Linda Romero
 
Welcome to the incorporated,
Caffeinated den. Welcome students,
Entrepreneurs, however tired
Or money-thirsty. Let's consume

In self-preservation. Why isn't
Every seeker of life the same?
Let's connect, disconnected
From our lives plugged-in

Let those new and known by drink
Seek out more than net worth, polished
Poems. Let one's search for acceptance
Be found with lattes and black coffee

Let's come in, come together and sit
Here in the caffeinated den.



The Facebook Sonnet
by Sherman Alexie


Welcome to the endless high-school
Reunion. Welcome to past friends
And lovers, however kind or cruel
Let's undervalue and unmend

The present. Why can't we pretend
Every stage of life is the same?
Let's exhume, resume and extend
Childhood. Let's play the games

That preoccupy  the young. Let fame
And shame intertwine.  Let one's search
For God become public domain.
Let church.com become our church.

Let's sign up, sign in and confess
Here  at the alter of loneliness.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment